Saturday, October 17, 2009

Whoopie ! Pies!

Sometimes I just get an idea in my head and I cannot get it out for the life of me. This one was making whoopie pies. I have no idea what exactly made me want to make these, but I really, really wanted to. I could not get the idea of making them out of my head. I've never made whoopie pies before, so I have no idea where this urge came from. But it was there, and I had to satiate it.

I was so glad that I did. What I great idea I had! :)

And these were great! They were like Ho-Hos but in a different form.They stayed incredibly moist for a long as we had them (which, incidentally, wasn't very long, but I think it would last pretty long as long as it was well wrapped).


So all in all, these were pretty good.

Whoopie Pies
from Stylish Cuisine

1  3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1  1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease cookie sheet or cover with parchment paper or silpat.  Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
In medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffly, about 2 minutes.  Add the egg and continue beating 1-2 more minutes.  Beat in milk and vanilla.  Beat in flour mixture until combined.
Using a cookie scoop, drop mounds of batter onto cookie sheet.  Sprinkle tops with raw sugar.  Bake 8-12 minutes until top springs back when touched.
Cool completely, then pipe or spoon a heaping amount of frosting on flat half of one cookie and make a sandwich with the flat half of another cookie.


Cream Filling
adapted from And Then I Do the Dishes


8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
5 tbsp butter, room temperature
3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 to 3/4 tsp vanilla extract


While the cookies are cooling, prepare the filling. In the bowl of your mixer of choice, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the cream cheese and the butter until light and well blended. Add the sifted powdered sugar, in batches, until the filling is perfectly smooth. Add the vanilla extract, mix well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look irresistible and I doubt they would last very long around my house either. Thanks for the recipe!

Melissa said...

I love whoopie pies. Martha Stewart makes PB ones, and oh I have to make those again. I've certainly bought them, but homemade is definitely the best.

ATasteOfMadness said...

I`ve never had a whoopie pie before. But from the looks of it, that is going to change soon, these look excellent :)