Friday, October 9, 2009

New York Style Cheesecake

While at my parents' house, it was requested by my siblings that I make a cheesecake. They wanted a plain one, and Trisha asked for a peach topping. I personally thought a peach topping would be a little weird, so I bought some raspberries, just in case.



I actually learned how to make cheesecakes from my husband. He made one for me for the first birthday I had after I met. He actually did this whole elaborate thing for me that birthday, because I had said one time that I like surprises. Let me tell you the story, and mind you, this was before we were dating.
About a week before my birthday, I received a letter in my school mailbox. I was loved getting mail, and this time was no different. However, this letter was printed from a computer printer with no sender. Curious. I opened it up, and all it said was "It's coming..." And a dime was taped to the paper. (I never thought to remove the dime, but under the time where the words "You're a ten." What a great hubby in the making.) Weird, huh? That's what I thought. I thought I had a stalker or someone is trying to play a joke on me. I got more of these letters as the day went on, and I of course tried to find out who was responsible. I got Jacob to tell me that it was him, but he made it seem like it wasn't just him. It turns out it was only him all along. Then on my birthday day, he gave me a letter which was the beginning of a scavenger hunt. He had taped letters all around campus, and I had to find them. It was a really sweet idea, but he had me criss-crossing the campus for a good hour or so. When I finally reached the end of the hunt, he was there waiting for me with a cheesecake: a white chocolate cheesecake with a chocolate coating decorated in Hugs. Hugs (the candy) were special to us because we weren't showing any outward signs of affection, but he gave them to me when he wanted to show those signs. What a sweet man. I love him. I knew then that he really did like me (I had previously gone back and forth on the idea). And the rest is history, our history, but I'll save that for another time.
Anyways, after that time, we made cheesecakes together for various occasions. He started me off easy, crushing the graham crackers for the crust, but then, there came a point when I was making them all by myself, and he was just eating. :)

But Jacob always turned to this website for new cheesecake recipes, and we have not been disappointed so far. I think my favorite cheesecake of all time is the key lime cheesecake with raspberry sauce. Soooooo good. I love key lime pie and cream cheese is divine, combine them with my favorite fruit, and you've got heaven.

So when it was time to make the cheesecake for this occasion, I didn't hesitate for where to find the recipe.


The cheesecake turned out delicious, but it did come out with a giant crack down the middle. But I had just come back from watching Julie and Julia, so I was in that mindset of "make no apologies." Plus, as my mom pointed out, it was just a marker for where to cut it. So I made a presliced cheesecake.

New York Style Cheesecake
from Flora's Recipe Hideout

Ingredients:
1  Cup  Graham Cracker Crumbs, * see note
3  Tbsp.  Sugar
3  Tbsp.  Melted Butter, ** see note
32  Oz  Cream Cheese, softened, *** see note
1  Cup  Sugar
3  Tbsp.  Flour
4    Eggs
1  Cup  Sour Cream, **** see note
1  Tbsp.  Vanilla
    Topping Of Your Choice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix crumbs, sugar, and butter. Press onto bottom of 9 or 10-inch spring-form pan Bake 10 minutes.
2. Beat cream cheese, sugar, and flour at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in sour cream and vanilla. Pour over crust. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes. Turn oven off and let cake sit in oven with the door propped open until oven has cooled.
3. Loosen cake from rim of pan. Rim can be removed when completely cooled. Best flavor is developed if refrigerated.
(Notes from author) 
* Any kind of crumbs can be used. I often use chocolate cookie crumbs rather than graham cracker crumbs. I've also used finely chopped nuts.
** You can use margarine instead of butter, but I always figure that when I make a cheesecake, it's special, so why cut corners on fat, calories, and, most especially, flavor.
*** Many times I have added an additional partial package of cream cheese that I may have had on hand, and once I added a whole additional 8-oz package with no problem with the texture or taste.
**** I have also added more sour cream than is called for since I always buy it by the pint.


Peach Topping
from Recipe Zaar

1 1/2 lbs peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 lemon, juice of

Add all the ingredients to a large saucepan. Place pan over medium heat; stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

1 comments:

Linsey said...

sounds delicious. my favorite is a key-lime cheesecake with brown sugar meringue!