Tuesday, October 13, 2009

TWD: Allspice (Cinnamon) Crumb Muffins

I could not find allspice. I looked, but I could not find it. It probably doesn't help that I can't read hardly any of the labels. So I resorted to cinnamon. But can it really be called a resort? I think I have to say that cinnamon is my favorite spice. It's so versatile and just plain yummy. And I don't just love it because my initials, before I got married, practically spelled cinnamon: CMN. Okay, not quite, but you get the picture. All that to say, I used cinnamon today.

So for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie, the recipe chosen, by Kayte of Grandma's Kitchen Table.


I ended up doubling the amount of spice since cinnamon is not quite as strong as allspice. The flavor was pretty good, with the struesel topping being the best part. I think the muffin itself might have been more exciting with some fruit mixed in, like raisins, dates, or apples. Then these muffins would have been over the top.

I actually made these not too long ago, while I was still in Los Angeles, and I did them mini style. I much prefer the regular sized muffin. Too small and you run the risk of getting dry.

As they were they were good, but not amazing. But since it was so easy to throw together, even at 11:00 at night (I am a major procrastinator and a night owl), I was able to bake these and still get to bed at my regular time (not a time I'm proud of, but at least I'm pretty consistent).

So give these muffins a try, and check out what those other TWDers are doing!

3 comments:

B said...

Looks delicious. I am sure you got the same taste using cinnamon as you would with allspice. Love the papers.

Kayte said...

Very fun on the CNM thing...and cinnamon sounds like a great choice to me! Love the photos of your muffins, very nice. I always secretly love the little minis also...you feel like you can have TWO that way. Something psychological about that, I know. Thanks for baking with me this week. Your muffins look perfect.

Rachel said...

I was definitely thinking these would be great with apples or bananas. Love your blog layout.