Tuesday, July 28, 2009

TWD: Vanilla (Heath Bar) Ice Cream

I can distinctly remember the first time I had heath bar ice cream.


It was during my junior year of high school, and I was in Chemistry AP. (Yeah, I'm a nerd.) Anyways, we were doing an ice cream lab, which was basically my teacher's cover-up for "let's make ice cream and eat it" and we weren't going to complain.




So we were split up into lab groups, and we choose what ice cream flavor we would make amongst us. I was leaning toward a mint chocolate chip, since that was my favorite at the time, but I got beat out by the heath bar option. I am so glad that we did.

We made the ice cream, and then, I fell in love. What a simple but oh so perfect combination! How did I go through those initial 16 years without knowing it?!?!

And now I'm obsessed. I always pick it at ice cream shops because I just can't resist it. So when Tuesdays with Dorie came up with Vanilla Ice Cream, I knew I had to make it Heath Bar. Thanks Cafe Lynnylu for picking it. If you want to check out other people's creations, see the blogroll, of which I am not yet a member because I don't know why. They won't respond to me. I've decided to pretend that I am anyway because I have the book, and I'm not really that good at waiting.



My first ice cream made at home ever! I think it turned out pretty well. I don't have an ice cream maker, so I used David Lebovitz's method. I initially had some trouble with it freezing, since I had put it in the freezer with a lid on the container. So when I went to check on it, it was just cold mixture. This happened a few times, i.e. after two hours it still wasn't freezing. Then I thought, "Maybe I should take off the top." And then magic occurred. Only, I really had to go to bed, since it was already 1:30 in the morning, so I know better now, and I think I can make an even better batch of ice cream next time.

My hand-packed pints.


A delicious bowl of yum.

I think next time I'll either try my first ice cream love mint chocolate chip or maybe a peanut butter cup. We'll see. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loooove heath bars! I am going to have to try this out the next time I make ice cream!

Thanks.