Thursday, July 9, 2009

I've got a lot of catching up to do

I've finally gotten internet in our apartment. Who knew that it would take a week and a half from when our internet was supposed to be turned on to work out all the problems so that we could actually use the internet. It's been quite frustrating, but I survived...somehow.

So with the move, I have gotten a serious baking bug. I've been baking and baking and baking and baking. And I have so wanted to post about them, so I've been taking pictures waiting for the time when our internet would be working. And now it is.

Just before I left for Texas, my "lunch bunch" buddies got me a gift certificate to Barnes & Nobles, for they wanted to get me a cookbook, but didn't know what I already had. So I took the opportunity to get Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, since I had heard so many good things about it. So I've been doing a lot of my baking out of that book, since all I had were books to bake by when I got here.

I'm just going to look at two things I've made kind of recently.

First, is Caramel Crunch bars from the aforementioned cookbook. I'm not going to be including the recipe, but it's on page 112 if you have the book.

These were pretty good, but I wish they made a little more. I made these for Jacob's office, and although the recipe says it makes 54 bars, the are very very very small bars (2 in by 1 in). But here they are.




Next, here are some cupcake ball pops I tried making for the end of school. My last hurrah, so to speak. I made two different kinds of cake balls, one chocolate and cream cheese icing, the other red velvet and strawberry icing. I had originally wanted to do chocolate with strawberry and red velvet with cream cheese, but I mixed the wrong ones and didn't realize until it was waaay too late.

These pops were incredibly difficult to make, and very time consuming. I've made cake balls plenty of times before, but the double dipping, and shaping, and freezing, and sticking took soo long. I stayed up half the night and some of the morning finishing them. And in the end, they hardly looked like cupcakes. I have no idea how Bakerella does it. I think it'll be a while until I try again.

0 comments: