Tuesday, June 1, 2010

TWD: White Chocolate Brownies

I love raspberries. Seriously. They are by far my favorite fruit. They are so delicious, sweet, and tart. I could eat them every day if I could. When I first bought the book Baking from My Home to Yours, I spent hours poring over the pages, imagining what it would be like to make some of the recipes. I particularly remember oogling the picture associated with this recipe. White chocolate and raspberry. What a delicious and wonderful pairing. So when I saw that this was the recipe for this week, I was...what do they call it...drooling, I mean, excited.

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie was chosen by Marthe of Culinary Delights. Be sure to check her site for this yummy recipe.

So have I made it clear that I love raspberries?

Well guess what...no raspberries here. I cannot recall one time when I have ever seen them here. I was/am sooooo disappointed.


But, I decided to buck up and try anyway. I figured, I'll just use a different berry. Strawberries. I've seen them here, so it shouldn't be a problem. Well, it was. No strawberries at the store. So my bars are sadly berryless. But, they still turned out yummy.

I also couldn't find oranges for the orange zest called for, so I went with lime. At first I was really frustrated because I couldn't make it the way I wanted, but then I remembered that lime and white chocolate are like one of my all-time favorite combinations. One of my favorite cheesecakes is this combo, and it's scrumptious. But add some raspberries on top, and you've got a slice of heaven. That's what these bars could have been. Perhaps someday.

But even without the king of all berries, or even any berries, this bars were still quite good. They reminded me less of a brownie and more of a lemon bar. But that could be due to the fact that when I went to cut these up, I realized that the center was not quite done. Ack! I tried sticking them in the oven for a few minutes after they were cut up, but I'm not sure that really worked. (I learned that I really should read the P&Q on the TWD site before making these. Maybe if I had baked them first as suggested, I would have had completely done brownies...but c'est la vie.) But done or not, they tasted good.

I'm anxious to give these bars another go, and I definitely will when I'm back in the states. But if you're curious to see what these bars could have been, check out what the other TWDers who made this recipe did.

Pregnancy Update: Next week we should be able to find out the sex of our little one...that is, if he or she cooperates!

15 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Mine are raspberryless and meringuless too.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

They look tasty even without the fruit!

Cindy said...

The raspberries did add a fun 'zing' to this delicious treat. Yours looks lovely!

Valerie Gamine said...

I hate when an ingredient, which is normally always available, suddenly disappears. But your brownies still look amazing! I bet the white chocolate was much more potent without the berries

mike said...

These look wonderful - even without the berries - I was fruitless too!

Tia said...

i changed the recipe into a <a href="http://buttercreambarbie.blogspot.com/2010/06/twd-not-white-chocolate-brownies-with.html>salty-sweet brown butter frosted brownie</a>! yours loook yummy.

alvarosa said...

Your meringue looks great!
(and good look for the cooperation-thing :o])

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

i'm very interested to try the lime with this recipe. a neat change. Hope you can find some raspberries soon.

I love this recipe.

The Mortensens said...

You couldn't find raspberries? Where in the world do you live? Well, it looks like your brownies turned out delicious anyway. I never thought about combining white chocolate with lime. It sounds like a really good combination!

Pamela said...

Sounds like you made it work with what you had. Nice job!

Leslie said...

These look pretty perfect to me, with or without raspberries! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Criollobylisa said...

Yours look better than mine! I got the goo!

Marthe said...

I'm glad you liked these, thank you for baking with me this week even with the trouble you had looking for all the ingredients!

Kurt N. said...

Awww, you're gonna find out the gender? Nobody chooses to be surprised anymore these days...

JT said...

yummy! Now I have lost complete concentration from my bakery logo design that I am working on. Thanks a lot! J/k These do look really good. Thanks for the inspiration.