I'm on a roll. Literally. For some reason, I felt the need to make three different types of ball-shaped treats. The first were these bundt balls. And these were the second.
I've been in a really fudgey mood lately, meaning, I want to make me some fudge. And this is so confusing to me. I don't like fudge. I think it's too sweet to be really enjoyable, but I still have really wanted to make it. Weird, huh? But I'm a woman, can't I explain that away with hormones or something?
Well, whatever the reason for this strange desire, it was there. And as always, I gave in.
These were really easy truffles to make. I don't know what it's like to make real truffles, but these came together pretty quickly. They are a fairly squishy truffle, but that makes them moist. The flavor could have been a bit better, maybe some espresso would have been nice in it, but I just loved the look of them in rolled jimmies. I especially liked them in chocolate jimmies, but I ran out.
Speaking of jimmies, do you call them jimmies? I know some call these sprinkles, but in my mind, sprinkles are the little round ones, and jimmies are the elongated ones. But some people hear me say jimmies, and they have no idea what I'm talking about.
Okay, back to the truffles. These are quick and impressive, so if you're in a pinch but want to look good (who doesn't?), you can get these made in no time.
Chocolate Fudge Truffles
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Pour the condensed milk into your heaviest pot. Stir in the cocoa powder and the salt.
2. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat. Keep the mixture barely at a boil to prevent burning and sticking.
3. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring, until mixture becomes very thick and shiny and starts to pull away from the bottom and sides of the pan.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and the vanilla.
5. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes. With buttered hands, roll the mixture into 1 inch balls.
6. Roll each ball in the chocolate sprinkles, and place in a paper liner.
7. Chill until ready to serve.